Summer is here and you need to make sure your house is ready to handle the unpredictable South Texas weather. A change in season comes with a new set of maintenance to-dos for your home and the exterior. Maintain your home now to prevent any future problems and prepare for the fall.
• Touch-up your exterior. Make the exterior of your home more presentable with a simple paint job.
• Analyze your deck. Check for signs of rotting. If it’s an older deck, it may be time to repair or replace altogether.
• Inspect your hose. Examine your hoses and faucets for leaks, as this could lead to a big waste of water and a higher water bill for you. Applying some electrical tape around the hose could easily fix the problem.
• Inspect the air-conditioner. This is the busiest time of year for your AC. Clean the filter and make sure it’s still running in top shape. You still have one more month of warm weather to get through. While you’re at it, keep the shrubs that surround your AC unit trimmed and pruned.
• Check the crawl space. Moisture in the crawl space of your home can cause mold and rotting. Cover the space to prevent moisture from coming up through the ground.
• Inspect the attic as well. Look for signs of pests, insects, water leaks, or mold. Also, turn off the lights and check for signs of daylight seeping through. If you spot this, it’s time for an attic repair.
• Repair your driveway. Examine the driveway and other concrete areas around your house for cracks and holes. Use concrete repair caulk and asphalt crack sealer to repair the cracks.
• Finally, clean your house’s exterior. From the roof to the exterior windows, window screens, to the patios and sidewalks. A good power washer should do most of the work.
Keep following Liberty Builders blogs for the latest in exterior home maintenance care.