5 Things to Replace and Repair This Spring
Winter can cause some serious damage to your home. That’s why March isn’t just for spring cleaning anymore, it’s for home repairs too. Wall cracks, gutter damage, and window damage are all signs that your house endured a rough winter. If you’re experiencing post-winter damage to your home, here is what you need to be focused on for repairs and replacements this Spring.
1. Replace your windows. Cold weather will make it easier to leave your windows with smudges and streaks. Replacing them could be costly so you should also invest in caulk or weather strips. However, gradually replace windows in every room to avoid the large bill.
2. Repair your gutters, downspouts, and roofs. You should have gutters and downspouts cleaned come spring so that water can flow through them easily. Gutters should be facing away from the house to stop water pooling around the foundation. Gutter covers may also be helpful. Check for leaks coming from the roof. Patch newer roofs but older roofs over 20 years need more maintenance.
3. Paint the house. Rain and snow are big detriments of paint. For better curb appeal, repaint your home or select a brand new color for some difference.
4. Install a new heating system. It may be time to install a new one depending on the age of the house and unit. For best results, find a system that carries the EnergyStar label. Have your filters checked and replaced if your existing systems are still in good condition. Replace filters when they are dark and clogged.
5. Install more insulation. To reduce heat loss or gain, you’ll want to begin with the attic. Adding insulation will reduce your utility bills. If you install more where you already have some, you will save energy as well. You can save greater amounts of energy if you install insulation into places in your home that have never been insulated. Radiant Barriers would be a a great cost effective upgrade. This type of insulation includes a heat reflective material that will keep your home cool during the upcoming summer months.
Checking these 5 items off your home repair list will keep up the value of your home and save you heartache in the years to come. Now is the time to start your home repair before it’ too late. If you are looking to help don’t forget to contact Liberty Builders. We offer free estimates for a variety of home improvement services.