8 Home Maintenance Tips to Follow Before Winter Comes
You’re never really done with exterior home maintenance and the start of another season means different things for your home. For fall, the weather will be cooler and the leaves are sure to fall everywhere, meaning it’s time to plan your fall home exterior maintenance checklist before winter arrives.
- Clean gutters.Gutters require constant upkeep, especially in autumn. Leaves and other debris can clog your rain gutters, causing leaks and other problems. After the leaves have fallen, clean out the gutters and downspouts, flush them with water, inspect joints, and tighten brackets if necessary. Replace old or damaged gutters with new ones that have built-in leaf guards.
- Wash windows. Also, have your windows and screens washed if you did not do so in the spring or if they now appear dirty after the summer months.
- Inspect and maintain your heating system.Have your heating system checked by a licensed heating contractor to be sure that the system is clean and in good shape. Replace and clean your furnace and humidifier filters at least every 30 days during the heating season. When properly serviced, heating systems will use fuel more efficiently, last longer and have fewer problems.
- Repair your roof and siding. Have a Liberty Builders professional inspect your roof and siding for any missing and loose shingles. It’s better to find and repair the damaged areas in the fall than to discover a leaky roof during the winter. Also, trim any tree branches that interfere with your roof and siding.
- Shut off outdoor water systems.Freezing temperatures can cause damage to hoses, pipes and your sprinkler system so make sure to shut off all exterior faucets, and winterize your sprinkler systems before a potential freeze. Drain all hoses and store them inside your home.
- Check safety devices.Take a minute to change the batteries to your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors to ensure they are in working order.
- Apply weather stripping and caulk to doors and windows. Inspect weather stripping around doors and windows. Caulk exterior joints around windows and doors. Caulking helps keep your house weather tight and lowers your heating bills. Proper sealing and insulation can save up to 20% on winter heating costs.
- Inspect and clean your fireplaces and chimneys. Have your chimneys cleaned by a licensed professional.
Good luck with your winter preparations, and if you need any exterior home repairs done, be sure to call Liberty Builders – we’re here to help!