Before hail season begins, take the time to get your roof inspected and see what repairs it may need. By making your roof stronger, you are preventing any further damage from taking place. If a hail storm creates as much damage as it did in San Antonio last year, you might be looking at a higher cost to repair the damages. If the storm creates more damage than you anticipated, it may be time to replace your roof.
Do you know what signs to look for when it’s time to replace your roof?
- Age: A typical roof lasts between 20 and 25 years. If your roof was installed over another layer or layers and it’s over 20 years, it’s time to call us for a free consultation.
- Bad shingles: If your shingles are curled or buckling, this is another sign of roof replacement.
- Roof valleys: These are the folds or angles of the roof, and are the most important areas of the roof. Snow and rain flow through these areas. If they are damaged, you are susceptible to roof leaks. Checking if shingles are missing from this area is a major sign of valley damage.
- Chimney flashing: Flashing aids to protect your roof from water intrusion where your roof meets a wall. If your flashing consists of cement of tar, it needs to be replaced with metal.
- Cracks: When you’re on your roof and feel like you’re standing on a trampoline instead of a roof, this means the underlying decking is weak and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. Check your attic to see if there’s any sunlight peering from the roof boards.
- Moss: Moss growth means that sunlight is not reaching those areas on the roof, Moss holds moisture, and moisture is bad for your roof surface.
Call us today if you feel you might need your roof replaced. We’ll give you a free in-home consultation.