Get your Home Ready for Cold Weather
It recently snowed and we couldn’t believe our eyes! Normally in South Texas, however, the bitter cold doesn’t arrive until January and February, so now is the time to prepare our homes from cold damage. Prepare your home now and don’t delay because if you’re a native Texan, then you know the weather is never predictable. Cold temperatures can damage certain parts of your home and could dig a hole in your pocket. Follow these steps to ensure your home is ready for what the winter brings this season.
- Seal windows and doors. Caulk around windows and install weather stripping around your exterior doors. Gaps that are found in windows and doors make it difficult – and expensive – to keep your house warm in the winter. You could save a lot on heating costs by taking on this task before the cold weather hits.
- Protect your pipes. Watch out for busted pipes this season as the water in your pipes could freeze. Especially in older homes, it’s a good idea to leave faucets dripping in very cold weather. Disconnect outdoor hoses and store them away, and cover outdoor faucets with foam insulators.
- Check the heat. Turn on the furnace to see if it is operating normally. Change your furnace filter before continuous use of your heater.
- Clean and store lawn equipment. It’s time to store away equipment usually used for summer days, such as your lawnmower and other motor-operated devices. Empty the fuel tanks because gas can degrade and damage the fuel line and other components. After cleaning, store them in a dry and warm place to avoid winter damage.
- Inspect your fireplace and chimney. Soot and other debris can collect in the months that you’re not using them. Make sure your fireplace and chimney are clean before you light up the first log of the winter. When you aren’t using it, keep the flue closed all the way. This will prevent cool air from entering the house.
For more home maintenance tips and other tricks, continue to follow Liberty Builders. If you have any questions or are in need of home exterior services, call us today. We offer a free in-home consultation.