Protecting your Home from a Hail Storm
The month of March marks the start of hail season! 2016 was one of the most severe hail seasons in our state’s history. According to CoreLogic, the April hail event in San Antonio affected over 263,440 properties and resulted in an estimated $334.5 million in damages. Overall in Texas, hail damage resulted in total losses of $689.6 million. This time of year, focus on preventing exterior property damage before it happens.
There are a few ways to protect your home and outdoor items from hail:
- Have your roof inspected to ensure there isn’t anything that could make it susceptible to hail damage. The best way to repair your roof is when the problems are found, and not when multiple parts need to be repaired. A strong roof could prevent hail damage.
- Keep your home free of surrounding dangers. Trim the trees that surround your house regularly or you might experience branches falling and damaging your home during a storm.
- Remove all valuables out of the open area. Before a hail storm arrives, move all outdoor valuables (patio furniture, barbeque pits) to a covered area like a carport or a garage. Not only can those valuables be damaged, but the weather can cause those items to seriously damage your home as well.
- Don’t forget the windows. Hail can break your windows so close your drapes, blinds, and shades in the event of a hail storm. This will prevent broken glass to blow into your home and cause more stress for you.
- Protect your vehicles. Park your cars and other vehicles in your garage or under a carport.
Call Liberty Builders today and ask how we can protect your roof and the rest of your home from a damaging hail storm.